Birds are a crucial part of our ecosystem, but there are several threats that they must face every day. From hunting to the dangers posed by planes, our birds go through a lot more in their lives than we give them credit for. From the most common to the rarest birds, every single one of our feathered friends faces risks every day.
Whilst they go about their days, birds around the world have to put up with:
- Predators – especially domesticated cats
- The threat of collision – many birds make the mistake of flying into windows, buildings and even wind turbines. You can reduce the risk of this happening by installing window alerts.
- Fishing nets – sea birds aren’t safe, with many of them being caught up in fishing nets
- Plane strike – planes pose a massive risk, especially during migrating season
- Bird flu – this deadly avian virus can see entire flocks wiped out to limit the spread of it
This infographic will explore the facts surrounding the biggest threats to birds in the UK, and across the globe!
Do you want to help your local wild birds? Browse our excellent range of bird feeding stations.
Gemma Sharp is the resident writer for Love Garden Birds, a supplier of premium bird food and accessories. She has had a genuine love for our feathered friends from a young age, and has dedicated a lot of her time to learning all there is to know about them. If you’re struggling to pick the right bird feed for your garden, need help identifying a type of wild bird, or can’t decide where to put a nesting box, Gemma is the person to go to! She is passionate about sharing her years of learnt knowledge with the public. In her free time, she can be found feeding birds at home with her three young boys.